Healthy Nutrition for an Energized Training Program and Beyond

Coach Julie

While nutrition varies for each person, and based on goals, medical history, and preference, there are some simple guidelines you can follow to eat for energy – in your training program – and in everyday life.

    • Eat small meals every 2-3 hours to keep energy levels the same throughout the day
    • Include lean protein in every meal (if you are having a salad, put chicken or beans on it, for example)
    • Select natural carbs when possible – whole grains, fruits, vegetables
    • Try to avoid processed or synthetic foods when possible – these are more challenging for the body to break down and create more work for your digestive system/potential distress in the body
    • Drink water with every meal; 64 oz. a day
    • Don’t think of food as ‘good’ or ‘bad’ and try not to consider a day a ‘good’ or ‘bad’ food day – consider food what it is – energy.  And, try to eat 80% of your calories each week focused on energy and sustainment – the other 20% – those can be favorite splurges.  Consider each day a day focused on ‘energy’.

Now, let’s break down how to eat before, during and after exercise.

    • 45-90 minutes before your workout
      • Eat an easily digestible, light food; such as a banana with peanut butter, greek yogurt, bar, small shake (try somethings out – see what you enjoy and tastes good to you!)
      • Drink 8-16 oz. of water
    • During your workout
      • Drink 4-6 oz. of water every 10-15 minutes
      • For a long training workout, consume around 300 calories of a easily/quickly digestible, high-carb product – like a PowerBar, Gu, PowerShot; you may also want to select an electrolyte drink as well if you are working at a high intensity/sweating
    • After your workout
      • Within 45 minutes, eat something with a 4:1 carb: protein ratio (whole grain bread with turkey, apple and peanut butter) – this combination helps to repair muscle breakdown, refuel your energy system and help you to recover quicker
      • Drink 8-16 oz. of water
Water is a en essential element to healthy and efficient cellular function, so make sure you are drinking your water ALL the time!
So, you might be thinking – Julie – this is great – but help me translate this into real-life.  What can I eat when I am out and about?  I am so glad you asked!  In the next few weeks, Cap City is proud to announce our official training menu at Panera!  I have helped to select breakfast, lunch and dinner options at Panera that focus on whole grains, high protein, lower sugar, sodium or fat – perfect for your training program!  So now you truly can have it all – healthier, tasteful food that makes it easy for you to eat for energy!
Here’s to your journey ahead!

(Please note: for a specific dietary plan, please consult a registered dietician)

Advertisements

Posted on February 21, 2012, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Healthy Nutrition for an Energized Training Program and Beyond.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: