Getting Ready for the Big Day!
Wow! We are ALMOST there! A few days away from the Cap City Half Marathon!
Our training programs are just about complete and now it is time to focus on our final ‘details’ to ensure a great race day performance!
- PRE/DURING RACE DAY: Make sure to eat/drink easily absorbable carbs 45-60 minutes before race time – this includes bagels, orange juice, power bars, Gu, etc.. Please do not eat anything that you have never eaten before – (don’t try a new flavor or product – you need to make sure what you put into your body is something your body will welcome!). Make sure to take some GU Bars with you (tri shirt pockets or pin to your shorts or shirt), or take advantage of the various refueling stations (there is 1 Gu station as well). (A good rule of thumb is to take in an additional 300-400 calories every hour you are working)
- POST RACE DAY: Make sure to refuel quickly – with readily absorbable carbs (bananas, oranges, juice, bagels) and then make sure to get a good meal with protein within a few hours of your race. Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day; stretch and celebrate yourself!
- FRIDAY NIGHT NUTRITION: Eat a good meal, with carbs (traditionally known as a ‘pasta night’) – to put glycogen into your muscles. Adding a little salt to your pasta may help to hold water into your cells – but don’t over do it. Drink water throughout the day on Friday!
- FRIDAY WATER: Also – make sure to get as much sleep as possible the night before! Prepare yourself so that you can be your best! (Coach Aimee has a great blog about water consumption -check out her post!)
- SUPPORT SYSTEM: Let your friends know that you are doing the Cap City Half, Quarter or 5K – and give them opportunities to support you – either by asking them to come out and cheer you on, make signs, follow your tweets on Twitter, and/or updates on Facebook! Your support system is a great way to add an extra push to your step!
Take care of your mind, body and spirit to prepare for the big day! Spend some time relaxing/breathing/stretching and focusing on Friday and make sure to remind yourself just how far you have come along the journey. If you are looking for a stretching routine for runners, click here:
Once you cross that finish line, we will be there to celebrate with you! Remember – life is about the journey, not the destination – so enjoy every step of the course!
See you at the finish line!